Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thieves Like Us | Never Known Love

I wrote something sweet and intimate but I'm just too shy to share it.
Fortunately for you, Thieves Like Us are more than happy to share their sweet and intimate melodies which effortlessly stack sticky synth, upon rich guitar loops, upon the densest of baselines. They then ice it with harmonious musings of love, loss, drugs and feelings to create one truly decadent layer cake which gives anyone with any taste a real sweet tooth.

Don't even get me started on the music videos: clips from obscure foreign films made in the 1970s and 80s perfectly spliced and scratched so they sync with the beat. The videos have men with dodgy haircuts flying down staircases on motorcycles, teenagers engaging in foreplay, and drug induced suicidal tendencies.

I'm not sure what movie this is taken from but who doesn't enjoy watching a fine young woman hold up rings of fire while lions jump through them? Then a skeleton soon joins the fun- he must signify death....but he's holding a rose which definitely signifies love.

I think the contradiction and irony is insanely deep and poetic and I would try to explain my interpretation further but until you listen to more Thieves Like Us I really don't think you'll understand.

(A prize for whoever can inform me what film this clip is taken from )

No comments:

Post a Comment